Process Piece
I chose to record audio of a daily process that I do first thing in the morning, right when I return home from school, and right before bed: taking my puppy potty. This simple act dictates my schedule and has a pretty clear beginning, middle, and end, which made it my first good idea for this project (and one I thought no one else would do). In addition to this, my boy Boone is a key defining feature of my life. I bought him. I trained him. I am solely responsible for his well being. In return, I get fierce loyalty and an outlet to offer all my repressed love and attention to.
Barney presents a great pattern for helping students create work as the teacher gives a “frame” for his students to think about. That frame becomes the glasses they observe through when asked to create. This project also did the same for me. My idea of a “process” is related to something I must do and sacrifice for, not something I choose to make. Thus, when asked to create in this medium, I chose a process that reflects my way of looking through the “process” glass. In this way, we can be mindful about the “frames” we use, and how they might help or hinder students’ ability to create.
Jade, thank you so much for sharing this! I love so many things about it. I love how cute your puppy sounds, I love that you picked a process that happens so often, and I love your reflection on how your own frame impacted how you did the assignment. My favorite thing about your assignment, however, was the vulnerability! It's such a simple thing that so many people relate to (taking a dog out), but hearing you talk to your dog feels really intimate and tender. I feel honored to have been able to listen! I was also reminded of how it can feel awkward to hear the sound of our own voice, so major respect. Thanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDelete